Branch No. 12 - The Hut
2090 Brant St, Windsor, ON N8Y 1C6
The Ladies Auxiliary has been a vital support to Branch 12 ever since it's inception in November of 1932. There were nineteen charter members including Mrs. Elizabeth Stidworthy who floated a loan to provide the necessary startup capital.
In the 1930 depression times, the Auxiliary helped needy veterans by providing clothing and financial aid.
The Ladies were very busy during the war years 1939 to 1945. When war was declared in 1939, in addition to their regular club duties, they immediately worked to assist the Red Cross, Active Servicemen's Club and Salvation Army. They routinely purchased cigarettes and shipped them overseas as part of the Smokes Fund Campaign. In the fall of 1939, they organized a Knitting and Sewing campaign for enlisted Windsorites. The Auxiliary responded to a request by the Ontario Government and began accepting/supporting Refugee Children who had been brought to Canada.
In the post war years the Ladies Auxiliary's membership grew as the wifes of returning Vets joined the Branch. The Ladies expanded their service to the branch, it's members, member's families and the community. They introduced new and innovative programs such as: Poems and Essay contests at area schools, Adopting Vets in need of longterm care, the Children's Christmas Party, Catering for Remembrance Day dinners and so on.
After 83 years of service, the Ladies Auxiliary continues as a coveted support to all Branch activities.